I have been thinking about my resolutions for 2016 for the past week or so, and my brainstorming has mostly lead to goals for my blog next year. I mentioned in my check-up with my 2015 resolutions that I feel like this year has been my strongest year for fashion and I partially have my blog to thank for that. I really want 2016 to be a strong year for blogging. It wasn’t until middle of 2015 that I actually started considering myself a blogger, not just another gal with a blog. So, instead of doing the standard “New Years Resolutions,” I decided that it would be better to come up with some blog goals for 2016.
1. Monthly Goals. One reason I decided that it was okay if I don’t have resolutions for the whole year was I want to start posting monthly goals. I think these are more practical than a year worth of resolutions. Nicole, the blogger behind Writes Like a Girl, has a link-up of goals each month (check out December’s post). I think this is a great way to stay motivated throughout the year and focus on the small stuff when it is the most important. This also might replace my monthly recap series (still debating on this idea, suggestions appreciated!).
2. Become a Blogger Pen Pal/Participate in a Blogger Meet-Up. Do people still have pen pals?! I remember having one in third grade with someone from a different school and they sent me a corn doll (haha). I think one way to grow my blog is networking in the community of bloggers. I think it would be nice to communicate with someone via letters and it would be really fun to eventually do a blogger meet-up!
3. Play Around with my Blog Design. This has been something I have wanted to do for a while. I started playing around with a “blog button” a couple months ago and got frustrated. I will using the Adobe Creative Suite while working on my professional portfolio next semester, which should help improve my design skills and apply them to the blog! Once I have a blog button I like, I would also like to do some advertising. Also, what do you think of the photo above? I’d like to start making more photos with post titles because it’s easier with things like Pinterest.
4. Find Collaboration Opportunities. One of the exciting things that 2015 brought was my first collaboration! I’ve been wanting to do another since then, but haven’t made it a priority. I’m going to focus more on supporting local and small businesses in 2016, so maybe a collaboration will come out of those connections. If you have a local or small business and are interested, hit me up at thevintageurbaniteblog[at]gmail[dot]com.
5. Develop Better Posting Habits. This is another thing I have been trying to work on. My life is hard and gets messy between school, work, friends, and family. But I really want this space to be a priority. When Chase and I were in the car home from vacation, I took notes on some posts I wanted to write when we got back to Columbus and I came up with a crazy long list! Making lists of ideas and what needs to be done for the week will help me develop better posting habits. I have been trying to use the notes section in my ban.do planner (which is currently out of stock) to brainstorm posts for the month, and I will have to continue to dedicate time to this space.
6. ENJOY BLOGGING. Blogger burn out is a real thing. Out of all the blogs I read, there have been a handful of bloggers that have debated on quitting blogging. I don’t want the stress of finding collaborations or developing better posting habits to take away from the joy. Blogging has become one of my favorite things and I don’t want to lose sight of that.
I think 2016 is going to be a great year. I can already feel it. If you’re a blogger, are you making goals for your blog? If you’re not, what are some goals you have for the new year? Have a great Wednesday!